Fun & Rewarding Senior Activities
When you think of “senior activities,” what image does your mind conjure? If you’re like most people, you probably think of “bingo.” But while there’s nothing wrong with bingo, seniors today do so much more with their golden years.
For instance, at Acts Retirement-Life Communities, our residents are vibrant, active retirees with rich and rewarding lives. Many of them spend their free time pursuing hobbies like hiking and traveling, or learning new skills, expanding their minds and giving back to their community.
In contrast to the stereotype of retirees, activities for the elderly run the gamut. Below is a partial list of popular senior activities, as well as some of the benefits of these activities.
Activities for the Elderly by Categories
The following hobbies and activities are enjoyed by residents at Acts Retirement-Life Communities. If you have questions about activities at specific communities, please contact us to learn more.
Fitness & Exercise
- Swimming: Swimming is one of the best types of exercises a person can do, as it works several different muscle groups. Many also believe that swimming can improve your mood. Several Acts communities have pools that offer aerobic classes and other pool-specific activities.
- Walking & Hiking: Walking is great for raising your heart rate and for clearing your head. Whether you prefer a brisk trek on a local walking path, or some more intense hiking, walking is a very popular senior activity.
- Dancing: Dancing is an excellent aerobic exercise and a fun way to meet people. Learning new dances is also great for improving memory and mental health.
- Yoga and More Exercises for Seniors: Exercise at any age is important! And yoga is taking the senior world by storm. Check out our blog post on must-do exercises specifically for seniors.
- Art Classes: Do you like painting? Pottery? Sculpting? Are you an art novice but always wanted to learn how to paint? The good news is there are art classes out there for everyone of any skill level. Most Acts communities offer art classes.
- Religious Studies: One of the most popular activities among elderly residents of Acts, religious studies provide seniors a chance to explore and strengthen their faith or even learn about other faiths.
- Book Clubs: Besides the obvious benefits of intellectual stimulation, book clubs offer a chance to interact with like-minded people and make new friends.
- Free Online Courses: Did you know that many reputable universities offer free online courses? All you need is an internet connection to continue your education. Best of all, you can likely find a class on just about any type of topic you would like to explore.
- Woodworking: Woodworking offers the obvious benefits of gaining a new skill or perfecting a life-long one, as well as the satisfaction of creating something from scratch.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of America: Many seniors find great satisfaction in being a mentor and friend to a child or young person. You can find opportunities like this through Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
- Habitat for Humanity: Habitat for Humanity provides plenty of great opportunities for handy people who want to volunteer. Find out more.
- Other Local Charities: Acts communities throughout the United States work with several local charities. Learn more by contacting our communities directly.
- Out-of-State Visits: A favored activity of elderly residents at Acts is traveling the country, particularly because Acts residents can stay at any Acts community. Many seniors enjoy visiting national monuments and state parks, or visiting a city they’ve never been to before. And what better time to do it than during your retirement?
- Trips to Town: Of course, there is plenty to see and do in your own backyard as well. For instance, Acts has several Pennsylvania communities within driving distance of the historical monuments and amazing restaurants of Philadelphia. Not to mention multiple Florida communities right near a beach.
There is no limit to the hobbies and activities a retiree can pursue. And the active residents of Acts demonstrate that. If you’d like to learn more about popular senior activities, or have questions about Acts Retirement-Life Communities, please contact us now.